GLA:D or Good Life with Arthritis: Denmark, is an education and exercise program developed by researchers in Denmark for people with hip or knee osteoarthritis (OA) symptoms.
Research from the GLA:D program in Denmark shows symptom progression reduce by 32%. Outcomes include:
- reduced pain
- reduced need for joint related pain killers
- reduced sick leave
- increased level of physical activity 12 months after starting the program
- increased happiness and wellbeing
GLA:D is appropriate for any individual who experiences any hip and/or knee OA symptoms, regardless of severity. GLA:D can significantly provide you with clarity and education to help prevent total knee and hip replacement surgeries and add years to the life of your knee or hip.
This program is unique in that the education and exercises can be applied to everyday activities. By strengthening and correcting daily movement patterns, participants will train their bodies to move properly, prevent symptom progression and reduce pain.
What does GLA:D involve?
GLA:D is an evidence-based education and exercise program that reflects the latest in OA research.
- An initial appointment is organised to explain the program and collect data on your current functional ability.
- Two education sessions will then teach you about OA, how the GLA:D exercises improve joint stability and how to retain this outside the program.
- Group sessions twice a week for six weeks will then take place to improve muscle control of the joint, this in turn leads to a reduction in your symptoms and improved quality of life.
You do not need a referral from your Doctor, however you may be eligible for a rebate from Medicare for some of the costs of the program, if deemed appropriate by your GP.
On the spot HICAPS Private Health refunds have also provided significant rebates.